Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Do I like Radiohead enough to spend $400 for tickets?

It's that time of year again. The time of year when I sit myself down and try really, really hard to rationalize spending the amount of money necessary to go to Lollapalooza. For the third year in a row what's-his-name from Jane's Addiction comes to Chicago and throws a concert that lasts for three days and three nights. And every year it's the same dilemma for me. There are the one or two bands that I actually want to see, and about 50 or so other bands that I don't really care about. But once you're inside the gates you feel obliged to stand in the crowd of musty damn-bros and stoners watching Lady Sovereign or some other b-list artist that you hadn't heard of two days earlier--the whole time thinking about how you'd really much rather be some place else entirely. I have gone to three "Music Festivals" since living in Chicago. And every single time I swore it would be the last time.

Now that I know Radiohead is going to be playing this year, the decision really couldn't be any more difficult to make. Not that Radiohead is my all time favorite band or anything. But I like OK Computer and Kid A quite a bit. I know Babetron will want to see them. And to be honest I don't really know how many opportunities like this I'll ever have to see Radiohead perform. And of course, if I don't go, then every person I meet who did go will go on to say something like this, "Oh man! It was AWESOME! It was like the best live show ever performed. Seriously. You totally missed out."

1 comment:

Liliya said...

that is one hard question... Good Luck:)