Thursday, June 4, 2009

Pommes Frites

this post is purely an exclamation of excitement at the latest to-do on tybot's and my new york city "must" list. (for context, we're flying out there in july for our dear friend allison's wedding to lucky-as-all-getout paul and we cannot wait.)


the newest addition: Pommes Frites in the east village.























the e-mail that sold me on it (copyright allison 2009):

I just put Pommes Frites down on your list of places to go.  It just sells french fries.  Because of this, I didn't think you'd give it due weight if it were just listed on the list.  So I'm just e-mailing to underscore the importance of going:
 
1)  It has the best french fries you'll ever eat.  They're unlike any other french fries you'll ever eat.  It also has something like 50 delicious, one-of-a-kind ketchups, mayonnaises, and other sauces.  In sum, though they may just sell french fries, they sell french fries.
 
2)  It's in the east village, which is a very fun, hip, lively neighborhood, one that I highly recommend just wandering around in.  (I'll also give you the address of a basement used-book and records store and a bar with skee-ball, just in case you feel like you need destinations as you wander to pull you in different areas of the village).
 
3)  The east village is grimy, which I've only begun to appreciate.  I used to think that the city needed a good washing, but now I revel in its grime.  Pommes Frites is also appropriately grimy.  They've been frying french fries in that place for a very, very long time. 
 
4)  The french fries come in paper cones.  The old wooden (grimy, see above) tables and skinny, skinny bar against the wall have holes drilled into them, perfect for cone of french fries.
 
5)  It's a tiny place.  It's a wonder that they can do much much good (and sell enough french fries to stay open) in such a small space.
 
6)  My officemate used to go there with Keith Richard's son.  It's near an old, famous concert hall that's now a bank.  Thus, it's very rich in musical history.
 
7)  At something like less than $5, it's a steal for a meal (if you don't mind eating just fries) or a good snack when you're tired from wandering.
 
Also, can I get your address?

*****

let the countdown begin!

2 comments:

Kristina said...

Oh my goodness, that's making me miss New York soooo bad. Y'all are gonna have such a good time.

marenj said...

Have you been to NY? Are you asking for ideas on what to do? I would swing by Magnolia's- I think it's in SoHo?? They make the most amazing cupcakes. Even I, who has a never-satisfied sweet tooth, was sick after 3/4 of one! And DEFINITELY head to the Staue of Liberty- I think starting July 4th they're allowing people all the way to the top again, which is totally awesome. Ground zero is touching as well, though I haven't been there since they've reopened it.