Thursday, March 13, 2008

On Photography

Babetron printed our engagement photos yesterday and brought them over to my place last night. They look amazing, and I’ll take this opportunity to plug our wedding photographer Melissa Kelsey. If you're on our wedding mailing list you can expect to see these in your mail box soon.

Speaking of photos, I recently flipped through
Stranger than Paradise—a book that showcases the work of German born photographer Stefanie Schneider. In a world where “Photoshop” is a verb it’s refreshing to see a photographer working with raw materials and employing chance to achieve a desired effect rather than leaning on the crutch of digital magic to doctor their photos.
Stefanie uses expired Poloraid film which blanches out all but the most vibrant colors. The results are often dreamy, and occasionally disturbing. It’s been a long time since I’ve been this excited about a photographer. The images with girls holding water pistols remind me of a scene from a low budget B movie.

The sci-fi undertones initially captured my interest, but Stefanie also captures motifs such as forlorn travel and trailer park despair. I found several high resolution images
here for anyone interested in seeing more or her work.

2 comments:

Melissa Kelsey said...

Sweet blog! I love your names, tybo and babetron. Thanks for the shoutout!

kt said...

reminiscent of Kill Bill, I think.